unFocus.History Keeper 2.0 Beta 2 is now available for download.
Feel free to download, test and use the new beta. Here’s what’s new and fixed:
- History.js – There was an odd error, from a mixed up function, keeping History Keeper from working at all in the last release. It was the first issue reported by someone other than myself (thanks t’s been fixed.
- FlashPlayerInfo.js – was throwing an error if there was no flash player installed at all in IE. It’s fixed.
- FlashPlayerInfo.js – added more robust Flash Player 6 detection. It is impossible to check for some minor revision versions in Flash Player 6, because they crash IE if you do. It’s now possible, though, to check for 6.0r65, which is the first version to support Express Install.
- FlashPlayerInfo.js – deprecated “.getPluginType()”, and replaced it with “.getPlayerType()” and made it actually work. To practice discipline, I left “.getPluginType()” since it’s improper to change the API after a beta release (it didn’t work before, so I’m sure no one is using it).
- FlashPlayerInfo.js – Fixed beta and MinorRevision errors in ActiveX path.
- SwfHTML.js – was producing a security warning in IE if used over https. It’s fixed.
- Added a bunch of test files for each object, to help make sure stuff doesn’t break (that’s annoying), and more thoroughly test the various methods and features. It is almost, sorta like unit testing, if you kinda look at it sideways, in a mirror. 🙂
- Added Object Patent Magic to the package.
- Added some example pages – but these are really just there to test to the packed files, at the moment. HistoryKeeper.html is a good place to start if you want to learn how to use History Keeper. I’ll update soon with some Flash examples.
Check out the updated project page for more info, or just skip straight to the download. 🙂
The official Google Code name is unfocus-history-keeper. You can find the latest source in SVN. I will be doing development from trunk for now, until I can get to the tags and branches and whatnot to keep things organized.
For now, here is a snapshot. I’ll call it History Keeper 2.0 Alpha 1 for now. Let’s see where this goes from here.
For the first bug, the last state gets lost in some browsers, if you leave the site and then come back using the back button. I know how to fix it, i just need the time to implement that fix. That is the only known bug, so please feel free to leave a report in the issue tracker at Google Code if you find any more.
Also of note, you will find the source for the Swf Tools in there too (SwfHTML, FlashPlayerInfo, etc.) but if you are using ExternalInterface and SwfObject, you can safely omit those files when using History Keeper. You will not find any Actionscript code in there just yet. I’m still in the process of cleaning that stuff up (which basically means that the Communication stuff is incomplete in this release).
These were compressed using Dean Edwards’s Packer (included in above listed order).
There is also a QuickLoader Object in there, that may or may not have a bunch of quirks. Feel free to test it out. It attempts to begin working on the DOM as soon as it’s ready instead of waiting for the body’s onload event to fire.
Enjoy! 🙂 (Download here)
I just finished work on a new site for my place of work – adcSTUDIO. It’s not quite finished yet, as there are a lot of things missing, but it’s launched, and most importantly from an unFocus Projects perspective, it’s using the latest versions of all the unFocus scripts! Feel free to take a look at the source of the html to find the usage and links to the files. There is still quite a bit of clean up to do for a release, but at least there’s progress. 🙂
Well, here’s the new (sorta) blog. I’ll try to post here more frequently than I have in the past, but no promises. In the next few weeks, I’ll be getting things in order around here. I’ll eventually pick out a permanent skin, get permalinks working, install Atom 1.0 support, and maybe get maybe get around to housing the Flash projects. For now you can find the new home for History Keeper, at least until I move it to google code or someplace.
I’m going to finally get that elusive 1.0 release soon. Stay tuned! (just don’t hold your breath, it could still be a while.)